Working Membership Info
At the Happy Heart Farm, our wonderful crew of working members are the backbone of the farm, supporting the farmers, apprentices and fellow members. We are grateful for their friendships and help in growing delicious healthy produce. Since many of the tasks on the Farm are done by hand, our working members are the visible manifestation of the adage: ”Many hands make light work”.
Past members have expressed that their service at the Farm is a form of therapy, a pleasant compliment to their regular jobs and routines. Feeling a part of the cycles of nature allows you to feel more connected to yourself, the land and the rhythms of the seasons
Whether you are a new or returning member, please let us know if you are interested in being a working share member. This information allows us to plan for the growing season and these positions fill up quickly!
Working Member commitment - April 1st through to the end of October. Working Memberships are available only to those who interview with Dennis Stenson first. Please do not sign up for a working membership until have talked to Dennis in person. He will begin scheduling working member interviews February 3, 2014.
Working Membership Discount Level:
1st year working member- 20% discount on vegetable share price, must have an interview with Dennis.**
2nd year working member- 30% discount on vegetable share price, must have an interview with Dennis to review previous year.**
3rd year and beyond- 50% discount on vegetable share price, no interview required, please email Dennis so he knows he can count on you again (Thank you!). firstname.lastname@example.org. **
**The $100 annual farm membership fee is due first, with specification as to what SIZE of vegetable share you will be working & trading for. When submitting payment for your vegetable share, please use cash or check only, sent or dropped off at the farm.**
Benefits of a working member
Fresh air, being in sunshine and weather of all kinds
Learning and participating in many farm activities from planting in the greenhouse, transplanting in the fields, weeding, harvesting, washing produce in preparation for the weekly distribution
Meeting other kind and interesting community-minded folks
A sense of satisfaction and community is gained through group efforts and accomplishments
Summertime Working Member Shift:
Monday evenings 5-8 PM
- Tuesday mornings 6-9AM & 9AM-12PM
- Thursdays 9AM-12PM
- Saturdays 9AM-12PM (once-twice monthly, dates TBA)
Working Membership Requirements
- Interview with Dennis Stenson
- Three hours a week for the growing season (approximately five months) – Begins April 1st through the end of October
- Being in good enough physical condition, (backs and knees especially), to handle the needed tasks
What to bring
Sturdy work shoes, boots, or rubber boots
Good work gloves
Favorite kneeler or short gardening bench if you like
Drinking water, a hat, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, and whatever you need to be comfortable in various kinds of weather
- Note: In the fall or early spring, when the weather turns fowl, we might need additional help to cover plants ahead of a strong wind or an early frost.
- Missed Shifts – Vacation or Illness**
- Requirements for making up for missed working times, vacations, illness etc. If you are ill, going on a vacation, or can not make it to your shift, please let us know by phone: 970-482-3448 and let us know when you plan to make up your hours. Up to 4 weeks vacation time is allowed with the missed time to be made up before or after your trip. Advanced notification is required, either during the interview or by calling the office, 970 482-3448, so a plan can be agreed upon.
- **Three or more "undocumented" missed working times will result in a $25 per week fee for the period of time. Longer periods of "undocumented" missed working times will result in your vegetable share being terminated for the current growing season.**